Sunday, January 10, 2010

{My First Sweater}

I began the Climbing Vines Pullover on December 28th, 2009 and proceeded to knit like a mad woman while I was on break from school. The progressed slowed a little after I started my internship a week ago, but today, January 10th, 2010, I present to you:


... the completed sweater.


... and again closer up.

I'm pretty happy with it after the blocking process. I think it did manage to shrink up just a little and I'll remember to shrink it a bit after each washing. It's not super duper flattering in person (though I managed to pull it off okay for the photo. hehe It's COLD out there!) but it's cute and warm. I'm happy with how the charted vines came out and I think it adds a neat touch.

The arms don't sit right for sure. Anyone have any idea where I can go to get good info on fitting shoulders?

My main lesson from this project though is fit. I know now that I'm a fan of a bit of negative ease so if I'm stuck between two sizes next time I'll go down and not up.

And thank you so so much to everyone who left lovely messages for me to find this morning. I really appreciated the kind words. :) I did take your advice and began knitting a bit on my other mindless project, the Modern Log Cabin Blanket. I have all 4 colours integrated now and thought I'd share that too.

These yarns are all 100% acrylic that I got from my Sister in Law for Christmas. I'm really surprised at how nice these Bernat Super-deal yarns feel! They're pretty soft and nice to knit with. The colours don't show up perfect, though. The dark one isn't brown it's more a dark purple. From now on this will be my go-to project for nights like last night - I don't care if it takes me a year to knit it. lol

Thank you to everyone again for your encouragement!

15 comments:

  1. Your sweater is absolutely beautiful. I am in AWE! And I can't wait to see how you progress on your blanket.

    Can you tell me how you do the progress on the sidebar of your blog? I'd love to be able to do that as well with my 2010 project goals.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater looks great on you! I can see what you mean about the arms - a bit - but I'm really lousy at seaming so I don't have any suggestions. I plan from now on to only knit from the top down, that way I can either do raglan increases to get the sleeves as live stitches, or pick up stitches from the shoulder edge.

    On another topic, it's so great to have gotten to know you! It's always so much fun to read your blog! Keep up the good work, it's really appreciated over here :)

    Hugs / jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sweater! I dunno about the shoulders...your seaming looks good, so maybe that style of shoulder is just not the best fit for you? It still looks great overall, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously cannot believe you made that- you are SO awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really awesome on you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that is your first sweater! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sweater looks great. You really paired the color and pattern well.

    The colors for the log cabin blanket go really well together too! You definitely have an eye for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing sweater! The color looks lovely on you and it looks like it fits really well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sweater looks super professional! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow Sarie, that sweater is amazing! You are so talented! Nicely done :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you do a great job for a first sweater! It looks really good. Love the vines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah,

    I LOVE your sweater; the leaves are brilliant and it fits you really well.

    I also love your log cabin blanket. The colours are really good together. I have some Debbie Bliss Donegal Chunky Tweed in various sea-green shades to make one some time too, but now I really prefer your colours!

    Keep up the good work,
    Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really impressive first sweater! Congratulations - I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete