Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oh My Goodness, It's Done!


The scarf is done! How crazy is that? I never thought it would knit up so fast and easy! I ran out of yarn at about 40 inches, but I think I'll block it next here and see how much it'll grow just from that. I'm super happy with it! Of course now that means I definitely have to move on to the winter hat that's been sitting around forever. hehe Mr. Pie and I are headed in to Roanoke today (the next biggest city around, about an hour away) to catch a movie on the big screen, so I'll have some knitting time today in the car. YAY!

What am I going to do when school starts and *I* have to be the one driving? I don't think anyone has invented a way to knit and drive at the same time, have they?? That would be awesome! ;) I've only got about 5 weeks until the beginning of all the school orientation festivities! Summer is going by faster now, I think. I still have tons of knitting that needs to get started! Ahhh!

My mom's scarf definitely needs to get started. I know I've mentioned this before, that she's requested a gay pride rainbow scarf. I've decided not to do stripes because in a scarf that means lots of little ends sticking out when I switch colours. Then I thought to dye it myself in koolaid and do a cool ROYGBIV thing, but then I remembered that she's pretty much allergic to all animal hair, and I myself have no attempted cotton or bamboo or anything yet. So instead, I've been on the hunt for a great rainbow yarn that I can use. I've put a few feelers out on Ravelry to see if anyone does a custom dye like this, and here's what I've found so far:


This is the closest as I've been able to come. It's perfect colour, and it's a cotton/rayon blend, but it's lace weight. I've been scared to start up with this yarn because I'm thinking it will take forever to get the scarf done! I may have to bite the bullet though and just order it. What do you guys think? It's going to be for this scarf, Jubilee by Norah Gaughan:



I can't believe that tomorrow is Find a Deal Friday already! Yay!

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous idea. Are you going to try intentional pooling with it, to make the rainbow stripes go vertically?

    There's a group on Ravelry that deals how to do intentional pooling, if that's the way you want to go. The ravuser to search for is wenat. Wicked awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, your red scarf is soooo lovely!!! And that jubilee scarf is really gorgeous, too. I love how thin it is. It looks really hard to make, but I'm no knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking more that I would want a few rows in red, then a few in orange, then a few in yellow... but that other way sounds awesome too! I'm going to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete