I'm sometimes a tad obsessive when I get an idea in my head. Not only can I not wait to get started, I will NOT wait to be finished. If things don't go the way I suspected, I have a tendency to just muddle through until it's complete and I'm completely drained of all mental and physical energy. I forgo all kinda of human necessities in the search for an end product, such as: eating, peeing, drinking, and chocolate.
This idea I had floating around my head for a little while started after I saw a totally covetable needles case designed to hold your interchangeable knitting needles along with all your other goodies at Erin.Lane Bags and More on Etsy. They are in such beautiful fabrics and you can just tell they're beautifully made. Unfortunately, the price is also beautiful at $95.00.
I knew I didn't need quite that much space, as I don't crochet much or use double pointed needles, but I loved the space for my Harmony needles and all the paraphernalia one needs while traveling. I knew I had fabric that would work, I just needed some interlining which I happened to grab at Walmart. So when inspiration struck me at 2:00 this afternoon, the obsession began.
To start out I listed everything that I wanted to be able to hold in my pouch and what kind of storage it wanted. I sketched a little, then made a mock pouch out of Newspaper (Thanks Mr. Pie for the idea!) in order to test out all the sizes and shapes to see if I'd be happy.
Turned out it actually had to be a lot smaller than I thought I needed it to be. Score!
I cut out all those tiny pieces, sewed and sewed and cursed and picked out seams, and then sewed some more. I probably cursed again after that. Now, at just about 10 o'clock, I have a finished project to show you!
In the end, I'm really happy with it and it's going to be super practical. I'm proud of the fact that I saw something I liked and figured out how it was put together and then just did it. Quite fearlessly I might add. It is certainly FAR from perfect, though. There are strings everywhere, places where the top binding stitching missed a layer or two, and you'd be hard pressed to find a single straight seam.
Since these photos were taken just before dark you don't see the button I've added with an elastic band that closes around the button to secure everything. I also added some velcro to the little pocket inside because when I was sewing on the button the entire contents fell out. lol
Tonight was also my first time using fusible interlining! Or any interlining for that matter! I think I'm in love. :) Maybe, if I ever try again, I'll learn from my mistakes. But it's gonna be a while before I touch the sewing machine again.