Sunday, January 1, 2012

{Stephen West is a Genius}

Stephen West is a brilliant knitware designer.  I think the brilliance in his designs are how elegance meets simplicity.  When I went searching for a shawl pattern to show off the beautiful stitch definition in the yarn I got from Mr. Pie for Christmas, I found Boneyard.  Definitely simple knitting, but with a touch of interest in the garder ridges every 12 rows.   Then, at the end, I added a whimsical touch by way of another gift: the book Knitting Beyond The Edge.

I'll let you be the judge of their marriage:


I love how this yarn is such a beautiful semi-solid - tones of orange and even red show through subtly in a few places.    What I don't love about this edge technique is how badly it curls, even after a very aggressive wet blocking.  I've considered steam blocking or picking out the cast off edge to continue with a few more rows of garder, or even just picking up stitches on the edge and knitting some more rows with what's left of the yarn.

I'd love your opinion.   Here's to some very successful knitting in 2012!

The deets:
pattern:  Boneyard Shawl by Stephen West  and
            "Lattice Beauty" from Knitting Beyond the Edge by Nicky Epstein
Yarn:     Have you Any Wool Luxe Sport in Truffle

5 comments:

  1. I think your Boneyard is beautiful. I don't know what I would do about the curling on the edge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The edging is great, but I do agree that you need to do something about it. Otherwise it will keep on rolling and will drive you crazy. Maybe a few more garter rows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice knitwear!! I'd be tempted to do a row or two of crochet around that edge to stop the curl, if it's going to bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply love, love, love the yarn you used. The color is perfect for the pattern. The edging is also a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that is a beautiful boneyard! I absolutely love what you did the border, so pretty.

    I've had success in uncurling a shawl edge by steam blocking before (it was my Levens shawl which you can see here if you like), but the yarn had quite a high acrylic content so I'm not sure how well it would work on the yarn you used which has a much higher wool content than my shawl!

    ReplyDelete