Tuesday, December 7, 2010

{More Frogging than Knitting}

I'm not traditionally a frogger.  I loathe the idea of undoing hours of time and work and starting from the beginning, so instead I usually try to make do.  But I tried on my bottom-up sweater only to find that it was about 6" too large in the waist for me, which isn't really fixable, so two skeins of Sundara Silky Merino made their way back in to cakes and I recast on for a much smaller size.  This yarn is just too good to not wear when my V-Neck sweater is complete! The frogging had an added bonus of allowing me a second chance at the cast on since I found it was rolling something terrible.  I restarted with an I-Cord cast on instead of a few rows of garder.  It took two days to do, but I really like the result.  I'll talk more about the project when I'm a little farther along and have something to show you.

I have had significantly more success in doing small projects around the house!  I found the inspiration for this 5 minute project on Design Sponge where they wrapped yarn around balls to create their snowmen, but when I first saw it I just thought it was stacked cakes!  So that's what I did! 


The buttons are just attacked with two stick pins and the arms are tiny twigs.  It was just what I was looking for in my display!  I love the textures beside each other (cotton, wool and linen) plus the slightly different cream colours and fun too.

Mr. Pie and I also made our second annual Gingerbread House!  We had such fun last year that we decided to give it another go. 


We struggled with our dough in the morning and by the afternoon I'd become so frustrated I ditched it for a kit from the grocery store.  I like the simplicity of just putting it together and decorating it, but it lacks personality I think. So next year the secret will be to refrigerate the HECK out of the gingerbread dough so it's not sticky.

 And we got our first snowfall this weekend!  Always an exciting time!  We took the opportunity to do a teensy bit of baking. What you see are some chocolate covered almost and pecans setting in the cold because the cutting board didn't fit in the fridge. hehe 


They were super easy - just melt some chocolate chips in a double boiler (or a metal bowl and a regular soup pot, as it was in our case) and then toss the nuts in the chocolate until you feel like you've got them covered without too much chocolate left over, them spoon them on to some wax paper and allow them to cool. We were a bit impatient. hehe

I hope your December is coming along as nicely as ours is here!  The final projects for the semester have been turned in, but that hardly means I'm done.  I have two big final exams coming up that will be the bain of my existence for about the next week or so.  Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Hihihi, I love your yarn snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for snow! I'm totally going to make some yarn snowmen. You're being quite domestic with all this baking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see that December's being fun so far. The Gingerbread house looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you have to frog, doing so because your sweater is way too big isn't the worst reason. ;-)

    Very cute snowman!

    I make almond bark every year -- even less effort than spooning out individual bits = win. :-)

    Good luck on your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, snowman is very cute! He needs a minature carrot nose though Sarah...

    And LOVE the gingerbread house, I have a bit of a thing about them. You may have just inspired me to make one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all you holiday ideas, but especially that yarn cake snowman! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think the Gingerbread House is quite darling.

    Frogging. I do a lot of it. Usuallly I'm glad, since I'm a mistake-prone knitter.

    ReplyDelete